Becoming a Senior Member

Interested in Joining CAP?
Learning About CAP
The best way to start is by attending a few meetings to learn more about CAP. This also allows you to get to know the current members and for them to get to know you. The meetings take place every Tuesday at the Army National Guard Base. View the Meeting Location page for more information about our location.
There are several different types of “Senior Member” memberships within CAP. These categories (and their requirements) are:
  • Seniors
    • Active- regularly attends meetings, performs a specific duty assignment, meets training requirements, and participates in unit activities.
    • Patrol- a financial supporter who maintains current membership through payment of annual dues and participates in a limited capacity.
    • Retired- a member in good standing with 20 or more years of service as a senior member that submitted a CAPF 2a requesting their status to be changed to retired.
  • Cadet Sponsor Membership
    • A membership category established to allow parents, grandparents, and guardians of current CAP cadets to assist their unit’s cadet program by providing supervision, transportation, overnight chaperone’s, and any other task deemed necessary and proper by the unit commander.
    • Cadet Sponsor members must complete Level I training.
  • Aerospace Education Membership
    • A special category of membership for members of the educational community and any reputable individual or organization, that has a desire to promote the objectives and purpose of CAP, but who does not desire to participate in the active membership program. Typically these members are teachers that help with the external AE Mission.
There are other types of membership as well which can be found in this document from the CAP Officer Basic Course.
All applicants for Senior membership must meet the following prerequisites:
  1. Possess the desire, willingness, and capability to promote the objectives of the Civil Air Patrol.
  2. Must be at least 18 years old. Active duty members of the Armed Forces can join CAP as a Senior member at any age.
  3. United States citizen or alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S.
  4. No felony conviction by any court of record whether federal, state, or military.
  5. No pattern of arrests and/or convictions including but not limited to sex offenses, child abuse, Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol (DUI), dishonesty, and violence.
  6. If you were previously in the active duty military, you must have been discharged under honorable conditions.
  7. If you decide that CAP is right for you, request a Senior Member Application packet from the Personnel Officer. All prospective Senior Members must submit the following items to the 811th Squadron Personnel Officer before processing of the application can begin:
  • One (1) original and two (2) completed copies of CAP Form 12, Application for Senior Membership in Civil Air Patrol located here. Each copy should be typewritten or computer generated and must include an original signature signed in black ink. The unit number is SWR-OK-151, and the unit address is:
Starbase Composite Squadron

9100 E 46th St N BOX 5

Tulsa, OK 74115-1000

  • One (1) completed Form FD-258, FBI Applicant Fingerprint Card (electronic version is not acceptable; fingerprint cards may be obtained from the Squadron Personnel Officer). Only the blue card is accepted and the original signature must be signed in black ink. Although blue fingerprint cards from other sources are permitted, cards obtained from CAP are preferred, as they have preprinted information on them. This card must contain legible prints and must be free of defects, such as tears, folds, and smudges. Please check your local law enforcement agency or Pass and ID Office at your local military base to determine if they offer fingerprinting for CAP members.
  • For all non-U.S. citizens, you must include a copy of your Alien Registration Card (Form I-151 or I-551) on a separate sheet of 8.5″ x 11″ paper, centered on the page.
  • When filling out the forms, our unit charter number is SWR-NM-811. SWR stands for Southwest Region, NM is “New Mexico Wing”, and 811 is the unit charter number (different from the Squadron Number).
We recommend that you keep copies of ALL documents provided to CAP for your personnel files.
You will also need to provide a check for dues. The check, which covers the first year of dues for new members, should be made out to “National Headquarters, CAP” in the amount of $75.00.
After completing all of the forms, meet with the Squadron Membership Committee which reviews your application and approves it. For more information about the membership screening process, you can review chapter 3 of Civil Air Patrol Regulation 39-2. Once reviewed and approved, a temporary membership card will be issued by National Headquarters. You will receive this card through the mail, and will receive your permanent card after the background check has been completed.